In this article, I will be giving you the most scrumptious quick and healthy Nendran Banana recipes.
If you have ever visited Kerala, you will know that banana is quite a big deal and there are many varieties to choose from. One such is Kerala Banana or Nendran Banana or plantains. High in nutritional values such as potassium, calcium, iron, and phosphorous, it is rich in dietary fibre. A major advantage of this banana is you can have it ripe or raw. For those who want to try adventurous dishes, we give you these Top 5 quick and healthy Nendran Banana recipes.
A way to a healthy breakfast, this Nendran Banana Puttu is the perfect approach to a good morning.
- Puttu Podi (roasted rice powder available at grocery stores) – 350 gm
- Ripe medium-sized Nendran banana – 2 nos.
- Coconut – ½
- Sugar – 1 tablespoon
- Salt – ¼ teaspoon
- Cardamom – 4 pods
- Cashew nuts – 10 nos.
- Kishmish (Dry raisins) – 15 nos.
How to prepare:
- Grate the coconuts and keep it aside. While breaking the coconut, make a note to save the coconut water. You can use the coconut water to slightly wet the puttu mix.
- Peel the banana and chop into tiny pieces.
- Chop the cashews and raisins to tiny pieces.
- Put the puttu podi in a wide bowl and add the sugar, salt, bananas, cashews, and the raisins.
- Add in a tablespoon of grated coconut.
- Remove the cardamom skin and crush the seeds finely. Add it in the above mixture.
- Use the coconut water now to moisture the puttu mix. The mixture should only be slightly moist and not at all wet. While it should bind together, at the same time, it should be loose enough to crumble back to powder with the slightest touch.
- Mix all the ingredients well. If it is too dry, sprinkle the coconut water and mix again.
- Steam the Puttu in the puttu maker.
While this delicious Nendran banana puttu needs no curry, if you prefer a side dish, go with cherupayar curry and Kerala papadam for a divine breakfast.
2. Nendran Banana Ghee Fry
This dish is known to help post-partum women as it helps them revive their energy back. Instead of sugar, you can replace it with jaggery. Use organic cardamom that will give an intense flavour.
- 1 Ripe Nendran Banana
- Jaggery – 1 tbsp
- Homemade Ghee – 2 tbsp
- Cardamom powder – a pinch
How to prepare:
- Peel and slice bananas.
- In a saucepan, heat ghee.
- Add the sliced bananas. Fry the bananas till they are golden brown. It will take 2-3 minutes.
- Flip the bananas and cook it further for 2 minutes or till they are golden brown.
- Sprinkle jaggery powder and cardamom powder over the roasted bananas.
- Optional step: You may also add grated coconut over the roasted Nendran bananas.
- Switch off the flame once done.
3. Nendra Pazham Bhaji or Kerala Pazham Pori
Also, known as Plantain Fritters, Pazham Pori is a typical evening tea time snack that is served with a hot cuppa tea.
- 2 Ripe Nendra Pazham
- ½ cup maida
- 1 tablespoon rice flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 pinch turmeric powder
- 1 pinch baking soda
- 1/3 cup water or as required
- Oil for deep frying
How to prepare:
- In a bowl, mix all the ingredients – maida, sugar, turmeric powder and baking soda.
- Add water in parts. Use 1/3 cup of water and depending on the flour, you can add more. If the batter is thin, you can add more maida.
- Smooth the batter without any lumps.
- The batter consistency should be slightly thick to coat the banana slices well.
Making pazham pori
- Peel two Nendran bananas.
- Slice them in half or quarters. Slice each piece vertically in two equal parts.
- Heat oil in a Kadai. When the oil becomes medium hot, it is ready to fry the fritters.
- Dip each slice in the batter, coat it well and place in the hot oil.
- Fry the slices in the Kadai.
- When one side is cooked, turn over gently and fry the other side.
- Fry till they are lightly golden. You don’t need to fry these fritters too much. Remove from the oil.
- Fry the remaining banana slices.
- Place them on kitchen paper towels to absorb excess oils.
- Serve Pazham Pori with Chai.
4. Nendran Banana in Jaggery Sauce
This is a nutritious banana variety that helps toddlers and kids to gain healthy weight. While steamed banana is a good choice, once in a while you can try this recipe to satisfy your taste buds.
- 1 Kerala Banana
- 2 tablespoons of Jaggery
- Homemade Ghee – 2 teaspoon
- ½ cup of water
How to prepare:
- Peel and slice the bananas.
- In a saucepan, add water and put the sliced bananas.
- Cook till they are soft which may take 5-7 minutes. Cooking banana is optional if you are using any other banana variety apart from Kerala banana.
- Add jaggery powder to it and let it melt.
- Boil till the jaggery sauce is slightly thick.
- Add ghee and cook further for 2 more minutes.
- Switch off the flames and serve it hot.
We hope you enjoyed our Nendran Banana recipes. Leave your comments below.